Grow AND own your email list!
This should be one of your top priorities as a business owner.
Why should you GROW it?
Because the more email addresses you collect, the more direct contact you can have with your ideal customer. Email marketing can be effective and it’s one of the cheapest tools you should carry in your marketing toolbelt. We pay $0 for ours (yep, FREE) and it brings customers in!
Why should you OWN it?
Because you shouldn’t be paying another business to store the email addresses of YOUR customers. It’s YOUR property, you earned it with all of the hard work you put into your store and customers. You should “own” it.
Now that I have that out of the way, let me talk about 5 ways you can grow your list:
- Paper sign-up sheet – good old pen and paper will do the trick! Click here if you need a simple sign up sheet that you can customize for your own shop. If you’re a brick and mortar store owner, keep the list at your checkout counter. If you’re an online shop owner who sells goods at Markets and events, be sure to attach your sign-up sheet to a clipboard and display it in a spot in your booth where customers can see it and sign up.
- Sign-up during online purchase – Most online shopping platforms have an option to give the customer the ability to sign up for your newsletter during the checkout process. Make sure this setting is on.
- Giveaways – Whether you host an in-person giveaway or online, have your customers sign up for your newsletter with their email address in order to be entered into the giveaway
- Pop-up box – Whether it’s a simple plugin, or a widget, or a developer designs it – be sure to have a pop-up box on your website so customers can sign up for your newsletter when they visit your website
- Email tab on Facebook – do you know you can customize the tabs on your Facebook Business Page? Adding a tab for followers to sign up for your email newsletter is usually fairly easy to set up. Sign in to your marketing newsletter platform (MailChimp, MailerLit, ConvertKit, Shopify, etc.), go to the help section to find out how to set it up.
There are many email marketing platforms you can use. Most people I know have their favorites. We actually use MailChimp (where your first 2,000 subscribers are free). We send out one to two newsletters a month. We are consistent, so we always stay fresh on our customer’s minds but we don’t flood their inboxes.
Do you use email marketing?
What’s your favoriting email marketing platform? Do you have a favorite email marketing tip? What type of email gets opened the most? I want to know! Comment below.