With 200+ members in our membership groups, many conversations are initiated regarding E-Commerce.
- “Should I create an online shop?”
- “What E-Commerce platform should I use?”
- “Do I pay for plug-ins to help my online store run more efficiently?”
- “Should I pay someone to help me populate and launch the online store?”
- “Should I pay for someone to help me fulfill and ship orders?”
- “Does it sync with inventory in my store?”
- “Should I store inventory for my online shop in a storage space?”
Should we consider E-Commerce?
During the 2018 holiday season, this article, and this article by Meagan Brophy at Independent Retailer indicate the majority of shoppers purchased their gifts and other items inside brick and mortar spaces.
There are so many articles telling us brick and mortar is dying, but 83% is substantial!
In the end, brick and mortar store owners keep wondering…
“Is it worth my time and effort to add an online store to my website?”
This is the most important question to ask because as brick and mortar store owners, we already wear so many hats! Can we possibly add one more task (with a large learning curve) to our ever flowing to-do lists?
My sister and I are recently soft launched our online shop, but to be honest, I don’t know the answer to this question. Are we just feeling the pressure of having an online presence beyond a website or is there a legitimate need to offer online shopping to our customers?
Technology aside, I want to open up a conversation right here on the blog about brick and mortar store owners investing time and money into building E-Commerce stores.
The question remains, is this really what our customers want?
So, here are my questions:
- Are you a brick and mortar store owner with an online store?
- Was it worth your time and investment?
- Did you hire someone to help with the process?
- Did the store flop and if so, why do you think that happened?
- Do you feel pressure to open an online store?
- Did you decide against opening an online shop? If so, why?
- Is technology keeping you from launching an online store?
You don’t have to answer all of the above questions, but if you want to get in on the general conversation, please comment below.
Want to learn more?
- Follow Savvy Shopkeeper on Instagram or Facebook or sign up for email updates!
- Visit the Shopkeeper’s Academy to learn more about our group memberships and 1:1 coaching.
- Listen to the Savvy Shopkeeper Retail Podcast.
I share some of the most helpful information and tips for retail business owners on the Savvy Shopkeeper Retail Podcast. I know you’re busy so episodes are short and sweet at around 20 minutes. Want to work less, profit more, and grow? Listen on any of these platforms: