When Rachel started painting during her infant son’s naptime, she was going through a minor identity crisis. She’d just transitioned from a 15-year career in retail management to a stay-at-home mom.
Rachel’s stolen moments of painting quickly bloomed into a successful art business. Now, she sells her art to individuals through Etsy and to brick-and-mortar retailers through wholesale platforms.
In today’s Shopkeeper Story, Rachel shares the core value that led her to join the Savvy Shopkeeper community, how listening to other retailers’ concerns helps her be a better wholesaler, and her best marketing advice for artists- and maker-led businesses.
- Rachel’s store, Rachel Alvarez Art, on the web, Facebook, & Instagram
- Wholesale orders with Rachel via Faire and Abound
- Rachel’s artwork in the Savvy Shopkeeper shop
- Join the Shopkeepers Lab
- Podcast Sponsor: Honeycomb Credit
- Podcast Sponsor: Tundra
If you’re a BUYER click HERE to get 15% off everything you buy on Tundra for the first 30 days and I’ll get 5% back.
If you’re a MAKER, click HERE to apply to sell on Tundra where your products can be seen by 25,000+ buyers!
*Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links or referral codes, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link or using the code. I make recommendations because I genuinely believe they are useful to shopkeepers. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
- [01:11] How Rachel started her business during her son’s naptimes
- [09:26] What led Rachel to get involved in the Savvy Shopkeeper community
- [16:54] Why Rachel cleans her home studio every morning
- [20:12] How Rachel’s business has grown through the COVID-19 pandemic
- [22:10] What Rachel offers to brick-and-mortar retailers through wholesale orders
- [25:25] Rachel’s best marketing tips for artists & makers
- [28:32] Where Rachel sees her business in the future
- [31:03] Rachel’s favorite part of the Shopkeepers Lab