NOW is the time to start using video on social media.
Let’s start with Facebook Live today.
Why? Because it’s what’s hot right now. People want to see and hear what’s going on in your shop. They want to see you too! And…it’s what’s getting the most engagement on Business Pages.
In the Savvy Shopkeepers Facebook Group, I learned that many business owners simply needed a guide on how to start.
So today, let’s start with the basics. Let’s cover the steps it will take for you to go live for the first time!
I’ll go in-depth later with effective campaigns and promotion ideas for your live videos but for now, we’re keeping it simple. If you aren’t sure what you’re going to say, write a quick outline or practice before you go Live.
How to go live on your Facebook Page:
If you’re on a laptop or desktop:
- First, you’ll need to use the Chrome or Firefox web browser. You might be using Internet Explorer or Safari but the best browsers for going Live on Facebook are Chrome and Firefox. I use Chrome. Click here if you need to download it, it’s free.
- Make sure the WIFI is connected and working well
- Next, go to your Business Page and click on the “Start a Live Video” button. It looks like this:
- You’ll receive this message next (see below). Don’t worry, it’s normal. If you want to record videos on Facebook, you’ll have to give the program access to your camera and microphone. Choose “ALLOW”.
- Don’t let the next step startle you! You’ll appear on the screen but I promise, it’s NOT recording yet. This gives you the opportunity to adjust your laptop or things in the background. Your screen will look like this:
- Review the information on the right (see above for example) – Make sure your video will be posting to your page and review the other options on the right. Oh, and be sure to fill in the section that says “write something about your video”. Once you end the video and upload it to your page, this is the text that will be posted along with your video. So, describe what will be in the video or the topic.
- You might start to perspire at this point, like me! But go ahead and hit the GO LIVE button.
- You can go live for 1 minute or 1 hour – it’s completely up to you.
- When you’re done just hit “FINISH” in the lower right-hand corner of your screen.
- If you HATE the video, panic and/or simply don’t want to add it to your Page feed, then just hit “DELETE VIDEO”. I’ve done that before, no biggie. Then start over or take a breather and try it another time.
If you’re on a cell phone:
Let me preface this by saying I’m an iPhone user so it might be slightly different for Android phones but I’m pretty confident it’s going to be similar.
- Start with the same first 3 steps in the desktop/laptop tutorial above.
- The next step will look different because you’re on your phone and your phone screen will look like this:
- Choose which way you want the camera pointed – either away from you or at you by selecting the direction icon at the top (see above). I’ve actually done both during a live video. I started a live video filming myself then hit the direction button to start a tour of our store.
- Select “Start Live Live Video”
- Once your finished, Select “Finish Video”
And just like that, you recorded your first Facebook Live Video!
My challenge to you:
Now here’s the deal. If you have yet to go LIVE on Facebook, I’m giving you a challenge! Feel free to take a day or so and jot down some notes, maybe even practice in front of a mirror but I’m challenging you to just go for it!
Remember, we’re all human, we all make mistakes or things happen. Heck, I was live at our store one day running a Flash Sale on Facebook Live and customers walked in – I told them I was live, they laughed, I finished and all was fine. I also lost wifi connection once and had to start over. Again, not a big deal. Just move forward and make sure you can laugh at yourself.
The more REAL you are, the more your customers will like you!
And when you go LIVE, please share with me! Send me an email or if you’re a member of the group share it on my Facebook Page and let us know in there! Can you tell this gets me excited? 🙂
In future posts, I’ll share how to get your followers to engage with you while you’re on video, promotion ideas, Live video strategies for your business and MUCH more.
Want to learn more and engage with me?
I look forward to learning from all of you too. Thanks for being here! ~ Kathy
Listen to the Savvy Shopkeeper Retail Podcast
I share some of the most helpful information and tips for retail business owners on the Savvy Shopkeeper Retail Podcast. I know you’re busy so episodes are short and sweet at around 20 minutes. Want to work less, profit more and grow? Listen on any of these platforms: