I try to listen to my audience as much as possible. And sometimes it’s helpful to ask you direct questions. It’s been a couple of years since I launched Savvy Shopkeeper and 7 months since I started dedicating more time to it. So, I felt it was time to get some feedback from you. That’s why I asked you all to complete a survey.
And I’m so glad I did! 67 of you completed the survey and I thought I’d share some of the results with you:
First, I wanted to know the makeup of those completing the survey. I can serve my audience better by understanding who you are. I found more than half were brick and mortar store owners.
Of those that completed the survey, I asked how they stay informed about Savvy Shopkeeper blog posts, offerings, and updates and found the majority (87%) are Savvy Shopkeepers group members!
One thing I’ve been really curious about is if Savvy Shopkeeper readers would prefer a targeted newsletter more specific to their niche (brick & mortar owner vs. maker/online shop owners). Unfortunately, the results are mixed. So I’m not sure what my next step is, but it’s still helpful to know!
Next, I asked how you would like to continue to receive weekly content. These days it seems like people keep saying “blogging is dying,” so I was surprised to see how many of you said blog posts! But I also learned that I accidentally didn’t allow more than one option on this question. Oops! Based on responses, I am considering one more way to get information to you and if I’m honest the introvert in me has been leaning towards a podcast for a LONG time. I just keep putting it off and I don’t know why, but this might push me forward.
Most of the survey participants said they were familiar with the Savvy Shopkeeper online shop and that there are both products and services listed in there. But 62% said they didn’t know about the Savvy Support Fund, so I’m glad I asked this! If you aren’t familiar with it either, be sure to click here to learn about the Fund.
I asked a few open-ended questions too. First, I wanted to know if there is anything I can do to improve the website and your learning experience here and I had these suggestions – see my responses and answers in italics:
- Dates on your blog posts would be helpful – you’ll find the dates for each blog post in the URL
- Sort blog posts by maker or shop, so we can easily find the resources we’re looking for from your blog – I’ve considered this for a while and I’m hoping I can make this happen soon!
- A drop-down listing of the blogs to click on a blog that has a subject I’m interested in or separate in categories – this already exists, when you visit the blog – look in the sidebar and you’ll see a drop-down menu for Categories
- Don’t be shy with relevant affiliate links – this response meant a lot to me because I spend what some might say is an unusual amount of time vetting and communicating with companies before I share tools or resources that are helpful to shopkeepers. So knowing someone trusts me enough to ask me to share more affiliate resources, meant so much to me!
I also received some compliments and kind feedback – thank you!:
- I love your website, the pages load quickly and navigation is easy.
- Thank you for all the great content.
- Fantastic, easy to navigate, chock full of information, eye appealing.
I asked what you all wanted to read and learn about. I received a WIDE range of responses but the majority of responses fell into three categories:
- Social media (engagement, getting new followers, etc.)
- Balance/Time Management (how to juggle it all)
- Financial (pricing, buying, etc)
Last but not least, I asked for any additional feedback or suggestions and I was pleasantly surprised at how many of you asked for some type of Savvy Shopkeeper conference and more meetups. I do have the first meetup outside of my area scheduled in July – if you’re in Michigan click here to check it out and I’ll be planning another one in the South later this year! Regarding the conference, I would LOVE to host this one day. Right now it’s a dream but dreams do come true, right?
If you took a few minutes to complete the survey, I can’t thank you enough. Your information will help me guide the direction of Savvy Shopkeeper for the next year. Thank you for being here!
Want to learn more and engage with me?
I look forward to learning from all of you too. Thanks for being here! ~ Kathy
Listen to the Savvy Shopkeeper Retail Podcast
I share some of the most helpful information and tips for retail business owners on the Savvy Shopkeeper Retail Podcast. I know you’re busy so episodes are short and sweet at around 20 minutes. Want to work less, profit more, and grow? Listen on any of these platforms: